Makes: 24 sandwiches Cooking Time: 10 min Please double check all of your ingredients to be sure that they are all gluten free!
- 1 (18.25-ounce) gluten-free cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 drop each red, yellow, and green food color
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour – GLUTEN FREE
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free cake mix, water, oil, and eggs; beat well. Divide batter into 3 separate bowls, then add a different food color to each bowl to make pastel red, yellow, and green cake batter; mix well. Drop tablespoons of batter onto baking sheets in an oval shape.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and gluten-free flour; cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it forms a thick paste. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sugar and shortening until fluffy; stir in vanilla then cooled flour mixture, and beat until doubled in volume. Turn half the cooled cakes over on their backs; spoon each with a dollop of filling. Cover with remaining cakes, forming sandwiches.
***I have not tried this recipe yet, so if you do make it – please share the results! 🙂 ***
ALSO – I’m sure you could make this sugar free by using stevia and dairy free by using coconut or almond milk.