I saw this recipe in my Gluten Freely email this morning and had to share. It looks SO good and I will be trying this soon – but if you are like me, gotta have my comfort foods, mac-and-cheese always being one of them!
“These recipes were created by Silvana Nardone through her partnership with Chex®. To see more of her recipes, visit Silvanas Kitchen.”
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 3 cups Corn Chex® cereal, finely crushed
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (10 oz)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten until stiff but not dry
- Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
- Move oven rack to lower third of oven. Heat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 12 regular-size muffin cups.
- In medium bowl, mix crushed cereal, 1 cup of the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Divide mixture among muffin cups; press firmly in bottom and up sides of cups with spoon.
- In 3-quart saucepan, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and flour blend with whisk; cook over medium heat 1 minute. Gradually stir in warmed milk with whisk; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the cheese until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni, egg yolk and salt. Fold in beaten egg white. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each crust-lined cup. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden and puffed. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.
Live and LOVE gluten free!